Recently the United Way and Impact Alamance conducted an anonymous survey for nonprofits in our county. Nonprofit leaders, staff, and board members identified board development as one of their top priority areas.
An effective board is vital to the overall success of an organization. Board members are the fiduciaries who steer the organization towards a sustainable future by adopting sound, ethical, and legal governance and financial management policies, as well as making sure the nonprofit has adequate resources to advance its mission.
Even if your organization has an effective board, on-going assessment, training, and development is needed on a regular basis in order to provide the organization with the leadership it needs in an ever-changing and challenging environment.
Impact Alamance is pleased to be able to bring this board development opportunity for board development to Leadership Institute members and alumni. This training will be designed specifically for your organization’s board and tailored to their exact needs for development.
Criteria for Applying:
- This program is for existing boards of nonprofit organizations who together are committed to enhancing their skills and capabilities to provide effective leadership and governance to their organization and its mission.
- Your executive director must be a current or former participant of The Leadership Institute.
- Completed Application due in April 2020.
- Letter of commitment from Executive Director.
- Letter of commitment from Board Chair.
- Each board member will agree to complete an anonymous board assessment.
- Each board member will agree to participate in a four-hour retreat.
- Please note that it is extremely important that the Executive Director and board members dedicate adequate time to this important process.
What you will receive:
- BoardSource board self-assessment results from your board members that identify opportunities for development.
- A half-day board retreat based on a review of the board self-assessment report.
- Session content will include:
- Roles and responsibilities of nonprofit boards;
- Six areas of organizations development;
- Mission, Vision, and Strategy
- Governance and Leadership
- Resource Development
- Strategic Relationships
- Internal Operations and Management
- Program Delivery and Impact
- A written plan that outlines two to three commitments for next steps, based on the retreat discussions with the board members.
- Two to three phone and email consultations with the executive director and board chair prior to the board retreat.
- Post retreat meeting/phone call for follow-up on next step commitments.