The Leadership Institute
Effective leadership has far reaching effects and can determine the longevity and health of an organization, making the difference between a good organization and a great organization! Research has demonstrated that investments in leadership development produce tangible benefits including higher achievement of growth goals, lower operating costs, greater stability, and increased mission impact for the organization.
The Leadership Institute offered through United Way of Alamance County and Impact Alamance aims to provide nonprofit and government directors with essential leadership skills to enhance their development and advance the mission of their organizations. The program provides a solid foundation of leadership essentials through classroom training, individual development plans, self-discovery, practical application, and personal coaching.
The Institute will be facilitated by Linda Smith, Splash Performance and Lisa Withers, Proactive Consulting. Lisa and Linda each have over 20 years of experience in leadership development and have worked with various business, healthcare, and nonprofit organizations.
- Training and coaching is valued at $2,800.
- Led by highly trained consultants with over 20 years of experience in leadership training.
- Individualized coaching for participants to support their learning and skill development.
- Development of a learning community that will support the participants’ ongoing development.
- Interactive and engaging training session.
- Participants who complete the program will receive a $1,000 stipend toward continuing education.
The series includes a full-day training, 7 half-day trainings (4 hours each, morning until lunch) and ends with a full day event and graduation ceremony. The sessions take place the second Thursday of each month (except for October and March). The Institute also consists of 3 one-hour individual coaching sessions, as well as some pre- and post-work for each session.
2017 – 2018 Session Dates and Times
- September 14 – Exploring Leadership (Full Day, 8:15 a.m. – 5 p.m., TBD)
- October 26 – Communicating Like a Leader (8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., Impact Alamance)
- November 9 – Getting (the right) Things Done (8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., Impact Alamance)
- December 14 – Preventing and Managing Conflict (8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., Impact Alamance)
- January 11 – Delegating for Results (8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., Impact Alamance)
- February 8 – Navigating Change (8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., Impact Alamance)
- March 22 – Making Wise Decisions (8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., Impact Alamance)
- April 12 – Growing Your Influence (8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., Impact Alamance)
- May 10 – Building a Team / Graduation of Cohort (Full Day, 8:15 a.m.-5 p.m., Sullivan Park at Twin Lakes)
Three individual coaching sessions with a consultant will be held throughout the 9 month program. Twenty participants will be chosen for the Institute which will create a network of learners who can support one another throughout and after the program. Best practices will be shared throughout the program by participating organizations to provide ample opportunities to learn from one another.
- Must be a director of a nonprofit or a director of a government agency/deparment located in Alamance County.
- Must submit application and endorsement letter by deadline.
The Leadership Institute includes approximately 50 hours of session time. To graduate from the Institute, a participant is expected to attend all sessions in their entirety. The series includes a full day training, 7 half-day trainings (4 hours each, morning until lunch) and ends with a full day event and graduation ceremony. The Institute also consists of 3 individual coaching sessions that will take place at your agency, as well as some pre and post work for each session. Participants who miss a significant amount of the training program may not be allowed to graduate.
Applications are due no later than August 11, 2017 at 5 p.m. An endorsement letter from your board chair or supervisor is required as part of the application process.
Participants will be notified of their status no later than August 18, 2017 at 5 p.m.