Teacher Leadership Academy
Teacher Leadership Academy is a community partnership between the Alamance-Burlington School System, Impact Alamance, the Alamance County Chamber of Commerce, Elon University, and Alamance Community College. Each of the partners has worked to ensure that this professional development opportunity is robust and meaningful. Each year, approximately 50 candidates are chosen for the academy through a competitive selection process. The Academy meets monthly throughout the school year.
The purpose of the Teacher Leadership Academy is to further the Alamance-Burlington School System’s strategic goals of recognizing and developing emerging teacher leaders. During this nine-month program, candidates spend full days visiting locations throughout Alamance County to learn about the key tenets of the ABSS strategic plan. The sessions demonstrate how local business and industry implement these strategies, and how the same strategies can be applied directly to classroom learning for improved student outcomes.
Qualifications of a successful Teacher Leadership Academy candidate
- A full-time teacher
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with a team
- Open to learning and doing new things
- Embraces and implements innovative and creative learning experiences
- Attendance at all Teacher Leadership Academy days (10 sessions)
- Motivated to be a leader in their school or community
**Applications for 2020/21 class opens October 14, 2019 and closes on January 3, 2020**
Each candidate must have their principal submit the following endorsement form in order to be considered for selection into the Teacher Leadership Academy. Please note that principal endorsements are due the same date as applications, we recommend allowing your principal ample time to complete your request.
If principals choose to provide endorsements for multiple teachers, each endorsement must be submitted separately.
Teacher Creativity Grants
Teachers currently enrolled in the Teacher Leadership Academy and committed to staying with the ABSS system for the following school year are eligible to submit proposals for funding up to $20,000.
Class of 2020 Creativity Grants Next-Steps:
- Fill out the letter of intent (below) DUE DECEMBER 2, 2019
- The steering committee will review your letter of intent
- If qualified, the Steering Committee will invite you to apply via email
- Once you receive the email, please click on the link provided
- This will take you to Blackbaud Grantmaking website where you will be prompted to create an account. Be sure to write down your account information as you will be able to save your application and return to it.
- Please read the directions carefully and make sure to complete all of the required fields. On the fourth page, note that you are required to upload an additional statement of intent and have the option of uploading a letter of support.
If you plan on applying for a Creativity Grant, please fill out the letter of intent.
If you are interested in learning more about creativity grants, please make sure you attend the grant writing workshop on October 29, 2019, from 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM in the upstairs auditorium at the ABSS Central Office, 1712 Vaughn Rd. Burlington, NC 27215.
*You are required to attend the grant writing workshop in order to be eligible to apply.*
- Must be a current participant in the Teacher Leadership Academy.
- Projects are to be school-based, not district-wide.
- Teachers must submit a statement with the grant proposal affirming their present intention to teach at ABSS through the following school year.
- Principals must submit a letter with the grant proposal stating their support of the proposed project.
Priority will be given to proposals that:
- Demonstrate creative or innovative approaches to classroom instruction.
- Partner and collaborate with other classrooms, or nonprofits to increase impact.
- Demonstrate sustainability beyond the funding period.
- Impact and involve a significant amount of people (students, parents, teachers/school staff).
- Have an applicant that is knowledgeable about the nature and substance of the proposed project.
- Propose a project that is feasible within the proposed timeline and budget.
- Have measurable outcomes designed to improve student or school performance.
- Align with school improvement goals.
**Class of 2020 Grant Writing Workshop for Creativity Grants: October 29, 2019 from 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM in the upstairs auditorium at the ABSS Central Office, 1712 Vaughn Rd. Burlington, NC 27215.**