Teacher Leadership Academy
The Teacher Leadership Academy
The Teacher Leadership Academy is a community partnership between the Alamance-Burlington School System, Impact Alamance, the Alamance Chamber, Elon University, and Alamance Community College. Each of the partners has worked to ensure that this professional development opportunity is robust and meaningful. Each year, approximately 50 candidates are chosen for the academy through a competitive selection process. The Academy meets monthly throughout the school year.
The purpose of the Teacher Leadership Academy is to further the Alamance-Burlington School System’s strategic goals of recognizing and developing emerging teacher leaders. During this nine-month program, candidates spend full days visiting locations throughout Alamance County to learn about the key tenets of the ABSS strategic plan. The sessions demonstrate how local business and industry implement these strategies, and how the same strategies can be applied directly to classroom learning for improved student outcome.
- Communication and Vision
- Personal Leadership
- Culture Change
- Peer Learning Communities
- Community Needs and Services
- Workforce Development
- Leading Teams
- Using Data to Drive Results
Academy participants also have the opportunity to attend a grant writing session. Upon completion of this session, teachers will be eligible to apply for teacher creativity grants for their schools. These grants are awarded by Impact Alamance through a competitive grants process. Team applications that demonstrate school leadership and collaboration are strongly encouraged.
Qualifications of a successful Teacher Leadership Academy candidate
- A full-time teacher or academic coach
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with a team
- Open to learning and doing new things
- Embraces and implements innovative and creative learning experiences
- Attendance at all Teacher Leadership Academy days
2018-2019 Teacher Leadership Academy Mandatory Dates
- April 30
- May 15
- August 16 and 17
- September 18 (Grant Writing Session to follow)
- November 13
- January 31
- February 19
- February 26
- March 14
- April 11
APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR 2019/2020 CLASS: JANUARY 11, 2019
Each candidate must have their principal submit the following endorsement form in order to be considered for selection into the Teacher Leadership Academy. Please note that principal endorsements are due the same date as applications, we recommend allowing your principal ample time to complete your request.
If principals choose to provide endorsements for multiple teachers, each endorsement must be submitted separately.
Teacher Creativity Grants
Teachers currently enrolled in the Teacher Leadership Academy and committed to staying with the ABSS system for the following school year are eligible to submit proposals for funding up to $20,000.
- Must be a current participant in the Teacher Leadership Academy.
- Projects are to be school-based, not district-wide.
- Teachers must submit a statement with the grant proposal affirming their present intention to teach at ABSS through the following school year.
- Principals must submit a letter with the grant proposal stating their support of the proposed project.
Priority will be given to proposals that:
- Demonstrate creative or innovative approaches to classroom instruction.
- Partner and collaborate with other classrooms, or nonprofits to increase impact.
- Demonstrate sustainability beyond the funding period.
- Impact and involve a significant amount of people (students, parents, teachers/school staff).
- Have an applicant that is knowledgeable about the nature and substance of the proposed project.
- Propose a project that is feasible within the proposed timeline and budget.
- Have measurable outcomes designed to improve student or school performance.
- Align with school improvement goals.
Creativity Grants Timeline
- Applications due January 31, 2019 (REVISED to February 8, 2019)
- Funding decisions released mid/late March 2019
- Planning for supplies/materials March through May 2019
- Funds available for creativity grant recipient July 1, 2019
- Implementation of grant August 2019 (Fall 2019-Spring 2020 school year)
- Three-month check-in October 2019
- Six-month check-in (Midyear Report) February 2020